Long Residence in
the UK


Long Residence refers to when you have been living lawfully in the UK for a period of 10 years or more, continuously. You are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after this time, so long as you haven’t been outside of the UK for a continuous period of 180 days or more or have spent 539 days outside the UK in total during this period. If you have been out of the UK for the periods specified, your Long Residence will be broken and you will be ineligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) take the following into consideration when making the indefinite leave to remain application:

A UK Visit Visa allows nationals from the EU and outside the EU to come to the UK and usually allows you to enter and leave the UK a number of times during the 6-month period for which this visa is valid.

Optimus Law can help you select the correct UK Visit Visa that meets your circumstances with ease ensuring you meet the specific eligibility criteria.

  • Absences from the UK;
  • Overstaying;
  • Criminal Conviction
  • Age;
  • Strength of connection to the UK;
  • Personal history, character, association and employment record;
  • Domestic circumstances;
  • Compassionate circumstances and
  • Any representation on applicant’s behalf

20 Years Lawful Residence

If you have resided in the UK for 20 years continuously you can also make an application to the UKVI

If you would like our expert advice as to whether your circumstances meet the requirements of 10 years lawful residence or 20 years continuous residence please contact our office to speak to an expert. We will also be able to assist you with the application process and the documentation to be included.

Depends or family members may also be eligible to apply, however they must apply separately. UK Immigration Law states that a dependent is either a partner or a child under 18 years of age. Family members may also be able to extend or apply for a ‘family of a settle person’ visa, if you have ILR or are a settled person in the UK. If your dependent child is over 18 years of age they must apply separately.

If you are unsure of your or a dependent’s eligibility, you can contact our experts who will be able to discuss your options and advise on the best possible route for you to take.